FAQ: Can my health insurance provider file a lien against my case?

If you have health insurance and it pays for some of your treatment as a result of a car accident, the health insurance company cannot file a lien.

However, health insurance carriers can and often do put in their insurance policies that if you are injured and recover a settlement as a result of your injury, they can legally asserts a “subrogation interest” against you for any payments they have made. In laymans terms, this means that if your health insurance pays for some treatment and you recover a settlement, you may be legally obligated to reimburse the health insurance company for their expenses. If you have been injured and have health insurance, you should contact an attorney so they can explain the subrogation process and how it works in regards to your injury claim.