In Texas the minimum amount of liability coverage every driver must carry is $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.  This basic coverage is also known as a 30/60/25 policy.

Remember, there may be more insurance than the state minimums. This is merely the minimum coverage required by law.  However, you should always assume the at fault driver has the minimum coverage, or worse NO insurance.  Hence, you should always buy Uninsured Motorist Coverage.  Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM) help when the amount of insurance the at fault driver carries is not present or not sufficient to cover your injuries.  I would encourage every person to carry as much UM/UIM coverage as you can possibly afford.  Too many times I have seen a great case be limited by the small policy on the other side.

To cover medical bills, you will need to purchase an additional coverage called “medical payments”. Medical payments coverage may go by various names, but its intent is to pay for the medical needs of a driver or passengers. It only covers those who are in the insured car.  The other method of protection is Personal Injury Protection (PIP).  Of the two, I would strongly encourage PIP over Med Payments, as Medical Payments are subject to subrogation.  Simply put, you must repay Med PAY but not PIP.

Collision coverage is another type of voluntary coverage you may wish to purchase. This covers repairs or replacement to your vehicle after an accident, regardless of who is at fault. There is usually a deductible on the amount paid. This allows you to have repairs on your vehicle if you are at fault, or if your car is damaged by someone who has no insurance or who flees the scene.

I wrote an article on my Google+ page which can be found posted on May 1, 2014 titled “What Kind of Auto Insurance Should I Get?”.