The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) estimates that 20% of Texas drivers do not have insurance. In other words, roughly one in five car accidents are caused by an uninsured driver.
These can be some of the most difficult situations from which to recover your losses. Doing so will almost certainly require the help of a personal injury firm like Funk and Associates.
At the time of the accident, however, do the following to make the best of a bad situation:
- Get any needed medical treatment immediately. If you aren’t taken to the hospital by first responders, get to one quickly. Not only is this critical for your health and well-being, but it creates medical documentation that shows your injuries were caused by the accident.
- Get contact information from the other driver at the scene. In more and more accidents, the police do not even show up initially. Get the other driver’s name, address, phone number and license plate number. Verify this from their driver’s license. If you find out they don’t have insurance, call the police if they are not already there.
- Get information from witnesses. If any witnesses stop at the scene, get their name, address and phone number. Give this to the police, your insurance company, and your lawyer.
- Take photos. If you are physically able, use your cell phone to take pictures of both cars, including property damage and license plates. Also record road hazards and visible injuries.
- Make contemporaneous notes of your surroundings. Write down the time, date, and location of the accident, and everything you can remember that happened. Make note of weather and road conditions.
- Inform your insurance company. Your only recovery may be from your own insurance company, so be sure to report your accident in a timely manner.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. A law firm like Funk & Associates can help you through a complex case, such as those involving an uninsured driver.