What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident
Fill out a personal injury claim evaluation.
When you get in a car accident it is important to keep your head about you. Although you might be shaken, nervous, and likely injured, if you can remember these few common sense points, it will help you greatly.
- Contact 911 for any serious accident. The 911 operator will dispatch both police and an ambulance, if necessary. The first priority of any injury accident is taking care of the injuries. Although Austin’s finest tell you to move your vehicle after an accident, I would discourage the practice if it seems that liability is being contested by the other side. Once you move the vehicle and or debris from the roadway, it makes it difficult of the officer to find out what exactly did happen and who is at fault.
- If the Austin Police Department, Sheriff’s deputy, or any other law enforcement agency comes out they will likely give you a brown form. It is a form which you write down all your insurance information, driver’s license number, name, etc. When both sides are done with this the officer will give each side the other side’s brown form. If there is no police presence write down the other side’s information or take a photo of their license and insurance card, and license plate. I would also take pictures of the vehicles, damage to the vehicles, debris in the roadway, skid marks, lights, stop signs, or any other items you think will help your case.
- If there are any witnesses that witnessed the accident, please take their name and number down. They may become very necessary if the other side decides to change their story.
- Clearly, if you are seriously injured, medical care is of the utmost priority. Take your aches and pains seriously, as they may be a sign of a more serious condition. I have seen too many people come in with a little soreness which revealed an acute herniation after imaging studies were completed.
- Injury accidents is what we do. If you ever need further clarification as to any of the points, I am just a phone call away.
Do I have a case?
Personal Injury Claim Evaluation
Please enter all required information to complete your personal injury claim evaluation. If your information is received before 3:00 p.m. CST, an attorney will call you back on the same day!
The submission of information to Funk & Associates (“The Firm”) or one of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the receipt of said information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. This website presents general information which is not intended to be legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. Contacting Funk & Associates does not, and should not, prohibit you in any way from seeking legal advice regarding this or any other matter. This Firm makes no representations, material or implied, of any statute of limitations which may or may not exist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sue someone for causing a car accident?
You can always sue someone over a car accident, the real question is, should you? An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you on the best options available for your specific case, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
Should you call a lawyer after a car accident?
If you are involved in a collision and were injured, then you should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can investigate the incident, establish liability, find police reports and insurance information, and help in all aspects of your injury claim. This allows you, as the injured victim, to focus on your medical treatment and healing, while the attorney handles all the different aspects of the claim.
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
There is no average settlement for a car accident. There are too many factors to list that can affect a case in a positive and negative way. However, if you suffered an accident and you were injured, please contact your local Austin Personal Injury Attorneys at Funk & Associates.
How long does it take to get a settlement from a car accident?
Unfortunately, there is no set time frame in settling a car accident case. However, you do have two years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit or settle the case against the person that caused the accident.
How much can I get for pain and suffering from a car accident?
There is no set number that you can get for “pain and suffering” in a car accident claim. Pain and suffering is part of a subset of damages called “general damages“ and will vary from case to case depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. This is why it is pivotal to retain a lawyer who has experience fighting for all aspects of your case, so that you may maximize your recovery on all damages.
Is there a time limit to claim for a car accident?
Texas has something called a statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury claims. For adults, and exceptions aside, that statues runs two (2) years after the negligence occurred. Meaning, if you have been injured in a car accident, or some other circumstance, you must settle the claim or file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the incident.
If you do not settle the claim or file a lawsuit within that period, your claim has “lapsed.” This means that you may be barred from ever pursuing the claim in the future. There are numerous exceptions to this rule and you should call the Austin Lawyers at Funk and Associates to understand all your rights.
Insurance Adjuster What to Do
Austin Car Accident News
- Austin Car Wreck Lawyer (10/27/2023) - AUSTIN CAR WRECK LAWYER – PIP/UM-UIM OFFSETS As an Austin car wreck lawyer I am often asked which insurance coverages apply in an auto accident. The answer varies based on the facts of the collision; however, three of the most common types of coverage available after an accident are: Bodily Injury Liability Coverage, Under-Insured/Uninsured Motorist
- Car Accident Injuries in Austin (10/27/2023) - Car accidents are among the top ten causes of injury and death in Austin for all age groups. Of course, you are more likely to be injured in a car accident in the Austin area. Injuries can consist of soft tissue injuries which usually are accompanied by headaches. Many times these headaches are caused by
- Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Austin (10/26/2023) - Despite many advancements in vehicle safety, 4,481 Texans died in 2022 as a result of motor vehicle accidents. Some of the most common causes of car accidents here in Austin include: Despite the advancements in vehicle safety and innovations in technology, 4,481 Texans died in 2022 as a result of motor vehicle accidents Some of
- What Does an Austin Personal Injury Lawyer Do? (10/24/2023) - When you’re seriously injured in an accident, you may need to hire a personal injury lawyer to handle your claim, but exactly what does a personal injury lawyer do for you? Most people know that if you are hurt in a car accident, personal injury law firms can help you recover compensation for your injuries.
- The Most Dangerous Intersections in Austin (And What We’re Doing About Them!) (9/5/2023) - The following article reflects 2022 traffic data. Sources: Austin Police Department, Austin Public Information office, Sept. 2023 Austin, Texas is a wonderful city for both visitors and residents. However, the increasing number of vehicles on our roads means we now have some of the state’s most dangerous intersections. Everywhere in Austin where two or more
- But I Don’t Want To Sue Anybody … (8/1/2023) - From time to time, my clients will say, “I don’t want to sue anyone…I am not a litigious person….” We will only advise our clients to file a lawsuit when the facts of the case or the insurance company’s offer warrants it. It is important to note that 98% of our personal injury cases settle
- Crash Alert: Accident on I-35SB at FM 1431 blocks traffic (7/27/2023) - ROUND ROCK, TX – A Thursday morning collision along the interstate in Round Rock blocked traffic while crews responded to the scene, reports Total Traffic Austin. Accident. Left and right shoulder blocked in #Williamson on I 35 SB at FM 1431/Chandler Rd/Exit 256, stop and go traffic back to Leander Rd/RM-2243/Exit 260 #ATXtraffic https://t.co/8laei8jjdZ —
- Crash Alert: Solo car crash kills 1 on William D Fitch in College Station (4/13/2023) - COLLEGE STATION, TX – A 67-year-old man died last Wednesday after his vehicle crashed along a busy roadway in College Station, reports KAGS. The incident happened around 4:34 p.m. in 1700 block of William D Fitch Parkway, which is just southwest of the College Station Fire Department: Station 5. Police say that the driver became
- Crash Alert: Single-vehicle crash in NE Austin kills driver (4/7/2023) - AUSTIN, TX - A man was killed on Monday morning in a single-vehicle collision in northeast Austin.
- Crash Alert: 2-car rollover crash hurts 2 in S Travis Co. (12/5/2022) - MANCHACA, TX – Medics transported one child and one adult to the hospital Sunday afternoon after a two-vehicle crash in Manchaca, reports KXAN. The incident happened just before 2 p.m. in the area of 2100 West FM 1626 Road, which is just west of SH-45 SW. It’s still unclear how the crash happened, but emergency