What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident
Fill out a personal injury claim evaluation.
When you get in a car accident it is important to keep your head about you. Although you might be shaken, nervous, and likely injured, if you can remember these few common sense points, it will help you greatly.
- Contact 911 for any serious accident. The 911 operator will dispatch both police and an ambulance, if necessary. The first priority of any injury accident is taking care of the injuries. Although Austin’s finest tell you to move your vehicle after an accident, I would discourage the practice if it seems that liability is being contested by the other side. Once you move the vehicle and or debris from the roadway, it makes it difficult of the officer to find out what exactly did happen and who is at fault.
- If the Austin Police Department, Sheriff’s deputy, or any other law enforcement agency comes out they will likely give you a brown form. It is a form which you write down all your insurance information, driver’s license number, name, etc. When both sides are done with this the officer will give each side the other side’s brown form. If there is no police presence write down the other side’s information or take a photo of their license and insurance card, and license plate. I would also take pictures of the vehicles, damage to the vehicles, debris in the roadway, skid marks, lights, stop signs, or any other items you think will help your case.
- If there are any witnesses that witnessed the accident, please take their name and number down. They may become very necessary if the other side decides to change their story.
- Clearly, if you are seriously injured, medical care is of the utmost priority. Take your aches and pains seriously, as they may be a sign of a more serious condition. I have seen too many people come in with a little soreness which revealed an acute herniation after imaging studies were completed.
- Injury accidents is what we do. If you ever need further clarification as to any of the points, I am just a phone call away.
Do I have a case?
Personal Injury Claim Evaluation
Please enter all required information to complete your personal injury claim evaluation. If your information is received before 3:00 p.m. CST, an attorney will call you back on the same day!
The submission of information to Funk & Associates (“The Firm”) or one of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the receipt of said information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. This website presents general information which is not intended to be legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. Contacting Funk & Associates does not, and should not, prohibit you in any way from seeking legal advice regarding this or any other matter. This Firm makes no representations, material or implied, of any statute of limitations which may or may not exist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sue someone for causing a car accident?
You can always sue someone over a car accident, the real question is, should you? An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you on the best options available for your specific case, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
Should you call a lawyer after a car accident?
If you are involved in a collision and were injured, then you should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can investigate the incident, establish liability, find police reports and insurance information, and help in all aspects of your injury claim. This allows you, as the injured victim, to focus on your medical treatment and healing, while the attorney handles all the different aspects of the claim.
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
There is no average settlement for a car accident. There are too many factors to list that can affect a case in a positive and negative way. However, if you suffered an accident and you were injured, please contact your local Austin Personal Injury Attorneys at Funk & Associates.
How long does it take to get a settlement from a car accident?
Unfortunately, there is no set time frame in settling a car accident case. However, you do have two years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit or settle the case against the person that caused the accident.
How much can I get for pain and suffering from a car accident?
There is no set number that you can get for “pain and suffering” in a car accident claim. Pain and suffering is part of a subset of damages called “general damages“ and will vary from case to case depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. This is why it is pivotal to retain a lawyer who has experience fighting for all aspects of your case, so that you may maximize your recovery on all damages.
Is there a time limit to claim for a car accident?
Texas has something called a statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury claims. For adults, and exceptions aside, that statues runs two (2) years after the negligence occurred. Meaning, if you have been injured in a car accident, or some other circumstance, you must settle the claim or file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the incident.
If you do not settle the claim or file a lawsuit within that period, your claim has “lapsed.” This means that you may be barred from ever pursuing the claim in the future. There are numerous exceptions to this rule and you should call the Austin Lawyers at Funk and Associates to understand all your rights.
Insurance Adjuster What to Do
Austin Car Accident News
- Crash Alert: Driver crashes into wall of East Austin eatery (8/2/2022) - AUSTIN, TX – Austin police arrested a driver after they crashed into the external wall of El Chile Cafe y Cantina on Manor Road early Tuesday morning, reports KVUE. Police say the incident happened around midnight when the driver lost control of their vehicle at 1900 Manor Road, which is just east of I-35 and
- Crash Alert: Multi-car crash on FM 812 hurts 2 kids, 3 adults (7/26/2022) - AUSTIN, TX – Three ambulances responded to the scene of a multi-car collision that injured five people Sunday just east of Pilot Knob in Southeast Austin, reports CBS Austin. Austin Travis-County EMS says the incident happened before 7:46 p.m. on FM 812 near Creedmoor Drive, which is east of South Highway 183 and west of
- Crash Alert: Teen seriously injured in SE Austin rollover crash (12/20/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A teen driver suffered serious injuries in a rollover crash in southeast Austin on Sunday. According to CBS Austin, the crash took place shortly before 9 a.m. within the 7800 block of Dee Gabriel Collins Road, near the McKinney Falls Parkway. FINAL #ATCEMSMedics have declared a Trauma Alert on & are transporting
- Crash Alert: 5 hospitalized following 3-vehicle crash in south Travis Co. (12/16/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Five people, including two children, were sent to the hospital following a major crash involving three vehicles in the Joliet area on Thursday morning. According to KXAN, the crash was reported shortly after 7 a.m. along US-183 near Catfish Lane. One teenager was flown to Dell Seton Medical Center with serious, potentially-life-threatening
- Crash Alert: Pedestrian fatally struck on I-35 near William Cannon Dr. (12/6/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A pedestrian was killed early Saturday morning when they were hit by a vehicle along I-35 in South Austin. According to the Austin American-Statesman, the unidentified victims was found unconscious in the roadway at about 4:49 a.m. near the exit to William Cannon Dr. The adult victim was pronounced dead at the
- Crash Alert: Two injured in two-vehicle wreck on Pleasant Valley Rd near SE Austin (12/3/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — Two people were hospitalized Wednesday night after a two-vehicle accident in southeast Austin’s Pleasant Valley area, according to Austin-Travis County EMS. Crews responded to the scene at South Pleasant Valley Road and Elmont Drive at around 8:45 p.m. #ATCEMS & @AustinFireInfo are on scene of a Motor Vehicle Collision at S Pleasant
- Crash Alert: Crews respond to fiery collision on Jollyville Rd in north Austin (12/2/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — Multiple crews responded to a crash Wednesday morning that caused a car to catch fire in Austin’s Great Hills area, according to CBS Austin. Austin Fire Department said the incident occurred in the 12018-12061 block of Jollyville Road, near Oak Knoll Drive, at approximately 8:06 a.m. It was not immediately clear what
- Crash Alert: One killed in single-car wreck near north Austin’s Anderson Mill (12/1/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — One person died Tuesday evening after a vehicle slammed into a tree in north Austin’s Anderson Mill area, according to FOX 7 Austin. Austin-Travis County EMS, the Travis County Sheriff’s Office, and Cedar Park Fire crews all responded to the scene in the 14000 block of Anderson Mill Road shortly before 7:00
- Crash Alert: One injured in collision on RR 1431 near Jonestown storefront (11/30/2021) - TRAVIS COUNTY, TX — At least one person was hurt early Tuesday afternoon in a vehicle accident near a Jonestown storefront, according to Austin Police Department. The crash was reported at 18601 Ranch Road 1431, between Austin Drive and Georgetown Drive, at around 1:54 p.m. Officers with the Travis County Sheriff’s Office responded to the
- Crash Alert: Three hospitalized after two-vehicle wreck on FM 812 in Del Valle (11/29/2021) - TRAVIS COUNTY, TX — Three people were seriously injured Monday morning in a two-vehicle accident on Farm to Market Road 812 in Del Valle, reports CBS Austin. Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the scene at 13903 FM 812 Road at around 9:21 a.m. Medics had to extricate two people, including one person who was briefly