FAQ: Is it possible to sue a city or county?

Because government entities in Texas are typically protected by sovereign immunity, it can be challenging to bring a lawsuit against a city or county. However, state law does allow it under some circumstances, including for motor vehicle accidents. You can hold a government entity or municipality liable for specific types of damages, which are outlined in the Texas Tort Claims Act. However, to do so, you must notify the government entity in question within a certain time frame, often just 90 days after the accident.

Because of this tight deadline and the high hurdles that must be cleared to demonstrate that the city or county is at fault for your injuries, you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible following the accident.