What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident
Fill out a personal injury claim evaluation.
When you get in a car accident it is important to keep your head about you. Although you might be shaken, nervous, and likely injured, if you can remember these few common sense points, it will help you greatly.
- Contact 911 for any serious accident. The 911 operator will dispatch both police and an ambulance, if necessary. The first priority of any injury accident is taking care of the injuries. Although Austin’s finest tell you to move your vehicle after an accident, I would discourage the practice if it seems that liability is being contested by the other side. Once you move the vehicle and or debris from the roadway, it makes it difficult of the officer to find out what exactly did happen and who is at fault.
- If the Austin Police Department, Sheriff’s deputy, or any other law enforcement agency comes out they will likely give you a brown form. It is a form which you write down all your insurance information, driver’s license number, name, etc. When both sides are done with this the officer will give each side the other side’s brown form. If there is no police presence write down the other side’s information or take a photo of their license and insurance card, and license plate. I would also take pictures of the vehicles, damage to the vehicles, debris in the roadway, skid marks, lights, stop signs, or any other items you think will help your case.
- If there are any witnesses that witnessed the accident, please take their name and number down. They may become very necessary if the other side decides to change their story.
- Clearly, if you are seriously injured, medical care is of the utmost priority. Take your aches and pains seriously, as they may be a sign of a more serious condition. I have seen too many people come in with a little soreness which revealed an acute herniation after imaging studies were completed.
- Injury accidents is what we do. If you ever need further clarification as to any of the points, I am just a phone call away.
Do I have a case?
Personal Injury Claim Evaluation
Please enter all required information to complete your personal injury claim evaluation. If your information is received before 3:00 p.m. CST, an attorney will call you back on the same day!
The submission of information to Funk & Associates (“The Firm”) or one of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the receipt of said information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. This website presents general information which is not intended to be legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. Contacting Funk & Associates does not, and should not, prohibit you in any way from seeking legal advice regarding this or any other matter. This Firm makes no representations, material or implied, of any statute of limitations which may or may not exist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sue someone for causing a car accident?
You can always sue someone over a car accident, the real question is, should you? An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you on the best options available for your specific case, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
Should you call a lawyer after a car accident?
If you are involved in a collision and were injured, then you should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can investigate the incident, establish liability, find police reports and insurance information, and help in all aspects of your injury claim. This allows you, as the injured victim, to focus on your medical treatment and healing, while the attorney handles all the different aspects of the claim.
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
There is no average settlement for a car accident. There are too many factors to list that can affect a case in a positive and negative way. However, if you suffered an accident and you were injured, please contact your local Austin Personal Injury Attorneys at Funk & Associates.
How long does it take to get a settlement from a car accident?
Unfortunately, there is no set time frame in settling a car accident case. However, you do have two years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit or settle the case against the person that caused the accident.
How much can I get for pain and suffering from a car accident?
There is no set number that you can get for “pain and suffering” in a car accident claim. Pain and suffering is part of a subset of damages called “general damages“ and will vary from case to case depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. This is why it is pivotal to retain a lawyer who has experience fighting for all aspects of your case, so that you may maximize your recovery on all damages.
Is there a time limit to claim for a car accident?
Texas has something called a statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury claims. For adults, and exceptions aside, that statues runs two (2) years after the negligence occurred. Meaning, if you have been injured in a car accident, or some other circumstance, you must settle the claim or file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the incident.
If you do not settle the claim or file a lawsuit within that period, your claim has “lapsed.” This means that you may be barred from ever pursuing the claim in the future. There are numerous exceptions to this rule and you should call the Austin Lawyers at Funk and Associates to understand all your rights.
Insurance Adjuster What to Do
Austin Car Accident News
- Crash alert: Man sentenced for fatal 2020 car crash in east Austin (5/10/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A man has been sentenced in connection with a crash in east Austin last year that killed a passenger in his vehicle, reports KXAN. 27-year-old Juan Manuel Aboyles-Garcia pleaded guilty to criminal negligent homicide in the August 15, 2020 accident on FM 969 near Decker Lane. He was sentenced to three years
- Crash alert: Police identify pedestrian killed in Austin hit-and-run crash (5/7/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A man who was fatally struck by a hit-and-run driver in Austin last month has been identified by police, KXAN reports. This is an update to a previous story. The Austin Police Department asid the pedestrian killed was 62-year-old Calvin Ray Dukes. Investigators said Dukes was experiencing homelessness and was pushing a
- Crash alert: Motorcyclist dies after colliding with truck in Williamson County (5/6/2021) - TAYLOR, TX – A collision in Williamson County Monday night claimed the life of a 38-year-old motorcycle rider, reports KXAN. The accident happened in the area of West 2nd Street and FM 3349 in Taylor at about 9 p.m. Police said the motorcyclist, identified as Jacob Shelp of Elgin, was riding east on West 2nd
- Crash alert: Austin police identify driver who died after crashing into pillar (5/5/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Austin police have identified the man killed when his pickup truck crashed into a concrete pillar Saturday morning. The victim was 24-year-old William Hernandez, police said in a news release. He was driving a 2012 Dodge Ram when he struck the pillar in the 500 block of Anderson Lane Frontage Road WB
- Crash alert: Vehicle crashes into pole in North Austin, leaving 1 person critically injured (5/4/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Emergency crews rushed a person to the hospital following an accident in North Austin on Friday night. According to CBS Austin, a vehicle collided with a pole in the 8900 block of Research Boulevard Service Road northbound at about 7:50 p.m. Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the scene and performed life-saving measures
- Crash alert: 1 critically injured in collision involving vehicle and pedestrian in Austin (5/3/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Austin-Travis County EMS said it was on the scene of a collision involving a vehicle and a pedestrian on Friday night. The incident happened in the area of Burnet Road and Justin Lane in north Austin at about 8:20 p.m. One adult was transported to Dell Seton Medical Center with what were
- Crash alert: Victim identified in deadly multi-vehicle crash on I-35 (4/30/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Police in Austin have released additional information regarding a deadly crash last weekend on Interstate 35. This is an update to a previous story. In a news release, the Austin Police Department identified the person who died as 22-year-old Alexis Enrique Aguirre Torres. Torres was a passenger in a Kia Forte that
- Crash alert: Pickup truck driver dies in crash on U.S. 183 northbound ramp (4/29/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – The driver of a pickup truck died after his vehicle was involved in a crash on a highway ramp in North Austin Wednesday morning, according to KVUE. The accident happened on U.S. 183 near the northbound flyover that intersects with North MoPac Expressway shortly before 9 a.m. Reports said the pickup collided
- Crash alert: Head-on crash between pickups in Manor sends 2 students to hospital (4/27/2021) - MANOR, TX – A head-on collision in Manor early Tuesday morning sent two students to the hospital, according to KXAN. The accident involving two pickup trucks took place on FM 973 near the intersection with U.S. Highway 290 at about 2 a.m. Seven students from the Manor Independent School District were in the pickup that
- Crash alert: Multi-vehicle wreck on I-35 in Austin kills 1, injures 5 (4/26/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – One man died and five other people were hospitalized after a crash on Interstate 35 in Austin early Saturday morning. According to CBS Austin, police believe a driver was going south in the northbound lanes of I-35 near Barbara Jordan Boulevard when the incident occurred at about 2 a.m. That driver crashed