What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident
Fill out a personal injury claim evaluation.
When you get in a car accident it is important to keep your head about you. Although you might be shaken, nervous, and likely injured, if you can remember these few common sense points, it will help you greatly.
- Contact 911 for any serious accident. The 911 operator will dispatch both police and an ambulance, if necessary. The first priority of any injury accident is taking care of the injuries. Although Austin’s finest tell you to move your vehicle after an accident, I would discourage the practice if it seems that liability is being contested by the other side. Once you move the vehicle and or debris from the roadway, it makes it difficult of the officer to find out what exactly did happen and who is at fault.
- If the Austin Police Department, Sheriff’s deputy, or any other law enforcement agency comes out they will likely give you a brown form. It is a form which you write down all your insurance information, driver’s license number, name, etc. When both sides are done with this the officer will give each side the other side’s brown form. If there is no police presence write down the other side’s information or take a photo of their license and insurance card, and license plate. I would also take pictures of the vehicles, damage to the vehicles, debris in the roadway, skid marks, lights, stop signs, or any other items you think will help your case.
- If there are any witnesses that witnessed the accident, please take their name and number down. They may become very necessary if the other side decides to change their story.
- Clearly, if you are seriously injured, medical care is of the utmost priority. Take your aches and pains seriously, as they may be a sign of a more serious condition. I have seen too many people come in with a little soreness which revealed an acute herniation after imaging studies were completed.
- Injury accidents is what we do. If you ever need further clarification as to any of the points, I am just a phone call away.
Do I have a case?
Personal Injury Claim Evaluation
Please enter all required information to complete your personal injury claim evaluation. If your information is received before 3:00 p.m. CST, an attorney will call you back on the same day!
The submission of information to Funk & Associates (“The Firm”) or one of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the receipt of said information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. This website presents general information which is not intended to be legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. Contacting Funk & Associates does not, and should not, prohibit you in any way from seeking legal advice regarding this or any other matter. This Firm makes no representations, material or implied, of any statute of limitations which may or may not exist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sue someone for causing a car accident?
You can always sue someone over a car accident, the real question is, should you? An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you on the best options available for your specific case, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
Should you call a lawyer after a car accident?
If you are involved in a collision and were injured, then you should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can investigate the incident, establish liability, find police reports and insurance information, and help in all aspects of your injury claim. This allows you, as the injured victim, to focus on your medical treatment and healing, while the attorney handles all the different aspects of the claim.
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
There is no average settlement for a car accident. There are too many factors to list that can affect a case in a positive and negative way. However, if you suffered an accident and you were injured, please contact your local Austin Personal Injury Attorneys at Funk & Associates.
How long does it take to get a settlement from a car accident?
Unfortunately, there is no set time frame in settling a car accident case. However, you do have two years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit or settle the case against the person that caused the accident.
How much can I get for pain and suffering from a car accident?
There is no set number that you can get for “pain and suffering” in a car accident claim. Pain and suffering is part of a subset of damages called “general damages“ and will vary from case to case depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. This is why it is pivotal to retain a lawyer who has experience fighting for all aspects of your case, so that you may maximize your recovery on all damages.
Is there a time limit to claim for a car accident?
Texas has something called a statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury claims. For adults, and exceptions aside, that statues runs two (2) years after the negligence occurred. Meaning, if you have been injured in a car accident, or some other circumstance, you must settle the claim or file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the incident.
If you do not settle the claim or file a lawsuit within that period, your claim has “lapsed.” This means that you may be barred from ever pursuing the claim in the future. There are numerous exceptions to this rule and you should call the Austin Lawyers at Funk and Associates to understand all your rights.
Insurance Adjuster What to Do
Austin Car Accident News
- Crash Alert: Three hospitalized after two-vehicle crash in west Austin (10/21/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — Three people were injured Wednesday evening in a two-vehicle rollover collision near west Austin’s Alexan Mountain View area, according to CBS Austin. The accident took place at the intersection of Old Bee Caves Road and Thomas Springs Road at approximately 8:26 p.m. Austin-Travis County EMS arrived at the scene to find one
- Crash Alert: One critically hurt in Cedar Park motorcycle crash (10/20/2021) - WILLIAMSON COUNTY, TX — One person was hospitalized Saturday afternoon when a motorcycle collided with a vehicle in Cedar Park, according to CBS Austin. The crash occurred on Farm to Market Road 2769 at Abbotsbury Drive shortly before 4:00 p.m. Austin-Travis County EMS and crews with Lake Travis Fire Rescue and Austin Fire found the
- Crash Alert: Three hurt in multi-vehicle crash on FM-973 near Manor (10/19/2021) - TRAVIS COUNTY, TX — Three people were injured Monday evening in a collision involving three vehicles on Farm to Market Road 973 in Manor, reports CBS Austin. The accident happened in the 15300 block of North FM 973 near Schmidt Loop at around 7:51 p.m. Austin-Travis EMS crews were called to the scene to perform
- Crash Alert: Six hospitalized after crash on SH-71 in SE Travis County (10/18/2021) - TRAVIS COUNTY, TX — Six people were injured late Saturday after a crash on Texas Highway 71 near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, reports KXAN. Crews responded to the scene on the 4400 block of SH-71 in Del Valle at around 11:36 p.m. Austin-Travis EMS said first responders arrived to find two people trapped inside a vehicle.
- Crash Alert: Pedestrian killed by hit-and-run driver in south Austin (10/15/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — A 45-year-old man died Monday night after being struck by a vehicle while crossing a service road in Austin’s St. Edwards area, reports KXAN. The incident occurred on East Ben White Boulevard along the westbound lanes of U.S. Highway 290 shortly before 9:45 p.m. An investigation indicates a 27-year-old man was driving
- Crash Alert: Pedestrian fatally hit by car while crossing US-290 in NE Austin (10/14/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — A man died Thursday morning after being struck by a vehicle on U.S. Highway 290 near Austin’s Coronado Hills area, according to KVUE. The fatal incident was reported in the 2700 block of East US-290 between Cameron Road and Berkman Drive at around 6:40 a.m. Little information has been provided at this
- Crash Alert: Four hurt after multi-car crash near south Austin shopping center (10/13/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — Crews responded to a multi-vehicle accident Tuesday afternoon near the St. Edwards neighborhood in south Austin, reports CBS Austin. The collision occurred at the intersection of Payload Pass and East Ben White Boulevard at approximately 3:33 p.m. Austin Fire crews and Austin-Travis County EMS were on scene to extricate one occupant and
- Crash Alert: One killed after multi-vehicle wreck on IH-35 in Round Rock (10/12/2021) - WILLIAMSON COUNTY, TX — One person died early Tuesday after a multi-vehicle accident involving a big rig on Interstate 35 in Round Rock, reports KXAN. The three-vehicle crash happened on the southbound lanes of the interstate at Hesters Crossing Road at approximately 5:15 a.m. It is unclear what led up to the accident, but Round
- Crash Alert: 2 hospitalized, including child, after crash in east Austin parking lot (10/11/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — An adult and a young child were injured Sunday after a single-car accident in the parking lot of an east Austin church, reports KXAN. Authorities responded to Greater Mt. Zion Church located on 4301 Tannehill Lane. It is unclear what led up to the crash, but photos taken at the scene suggest
- Crash Alert: Three hospitalized after multi-car crash on FM 973 in SE Austin (10/8/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — Three people were seriously injured Thursday night after a multi-vehicle crash on Farm to Market Road 973 in southeast Austin, according to Austin-Travis County EMS. ATCEMS and Austin Fire crews responded to the scene near the Green Grove Drive intersection shortly before 9:16 p.m. It is unclear what led up to the