What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident
Fill out a personal injury claim evaluation.
When you get in a car accident it is important to keep your head about you. Although you might be shaken, nervous, and likely injured, if you can remember these few common sense points, it will help you greatly.
- Contact 911 for any serious accident. The 911 operator will dispatch both police and an ambulance, if necessary. The first priority of any injury accident is taking care of the injuries. Although Austin’s finest tell you to move your vehicle after an accident, I would discourage the practice if it seems that liability is being contested by the other side. Once you move the vehicle and or debris from the roadway, it makes it difficult of the officer to find out what exactly did happen and who is at fault.
- If the Austin Police Department, Sheriff’s deputy, or any other law enforcement agency comes out they will likely give you a brown form. It is a form which you write down all your insurance information, driver’s license number, name, etc. When both sides are done with this the officer will give each side the other side’s brown form. If there is no police presence write down the other side’s information or take a photo of their license and insurance card, and license plate. I would also take pictures of the vehicles, damage to the vehicles, debris in the roadway, skid marks, lights, stop signs, or any other items you think will help your case.
- If there are any witnesses that witnessed the accident, please take their name and number down. They may become very necessary if the other side decides to change their story.
- Clearly, if you are seriously injured, medical care is of the utmost priority. Take your aches and pains seriously, as they may be a sign of a more serious condition. I have seen too many people come in with a little soreness which revealed an acute herniation after imaging studies were completed.
- Injury accidents is what we do. If you ever need further clarification as to any of the points, I am just a phone call away.
Do I have a case?
Personal Injury Claim Evaluation
Please enter all required information to complete your personal injury claim evaluation. If your information is received before 3:00 p.m. CST, an attorney will call you back on the same day!
The submission of information to Funk & Associates (“The Firm”) or one of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the receipt of said information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. This website presents general information which is not intended to be legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. Contacting Funk & Associates does not, and should not, prohibit you in any way from seeking legal advice regarding this or any other matter. This Firm makes no representations, material or implied, of any statute of limitations which may or may not exist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sue someone for causing a car accident?
You can always sue someone over a car accident, the real question is, should you? An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you on the best options available for your specific case, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
Should you call a lawyer after a car accident?
If you are involved in a collision and were injured, then you should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can investigate the incident, establish liability, find police reports and insurance information, and help in all aspects of your injury claim. This allows you, as the injured victim, to focus on your medical treatment and healing, while the attorney handles all the different aspects of the claim.
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
There is no average settlement for a car accident. There are too many factors to list that can affect a case in a positive and negative way. However, if you suffered an accident and you were injured, please contact your local Austin Personal Injury Attorneys at Funk & Associates.
How long does it take to get a settlement from a car accident?
Unfortunately, there is no set time frame in settling a car accident case. However, you do have two years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit or settle the case against the person that caused the accident.
How much can I get for pain and suffering from a car accident?
There is no set number that you can get for “pain and suffering” in a car accident claim. Pain and suffering is part of a subset of damages called “general damages“ and will vary from case to case depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. This is why it is pivotal to retain a lawyer who has experience fighting for all aspects of your case, so that you may maximize your recovery on all damages.
Is there a time limit to claim for a car accident?
Texas has something called a statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury claims. For adults, and exceptions aside, that statues runs two (2) years after the negligence occurred. Meaning, if you have been injured in a car accident, or some other circumstance, you must settle the claim or file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the incident.
If you do not settle the claim or file a lawsuit within that period, your claim has “lapsed.” This means that you may be barred from ever pursuing the claim in the future. There are numerous exceptions to this rule and you should call the Austin Lawyers at Funk and Associates to understand all your rights.
Insurance Adjuster What to Do
Austin Car Accident News
- Crash Alert: Collision reported on S. Mopac Expy. near Barton Creek Greenbelt (9/14/2021) - AUSTIN, TX — A collision was reported Tuesday afternoon on South Mopac Expressway, near the Barton Creek Greenbelt in southwest Austin, according to Austin Police Department. The crash happened on the ramp connecting northbound South Mopac Expressway to South Capital of Texas Highway. It was first reported by APD at 12:10 p.m. No further information
- Crash alert: Police identify scooter rider killed in crash in Downtown Austin (8/6/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A scooter rider killed in a crash at an intersection in Austin Tuesday morning has been identified by police, KVUE reports. The Austin Police Department said the victim was 31-year-old Keegan Connell Mosley. The accident occurred in the area of the northbound I-35 service road and East Seventh Street at about 1:45
- Crash alert: Woman dies after being struck by vehicle in southeast Austin (8/5/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Police say a woman died after she was intentionally struck by a driver in Austin Tuesday night, CBS Austin reports. Officers responded to a location on Ainez Drive near Dove Springs Park shortly after 11 p.m. after someone called to report a woman lying in the roadway. Police found a 33-year-old woman
- Crash alert: Motorcyclist killed in collision with vehicle at Austin intersection (8/4/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A motorcyclist died after a collision with a vehicle at an intersection in Austin Tuesday morning, KVUE reports. Police and rescue crews responded to the scene at the northbound Interstate 35 service road and East Seventh Street after the incident was reported shortly before 1:45 a.m. The motorcyclist, whose identity was not
- Crash alert: 1 dead, 4 injured in collision on Loop 360 near Pennybacker Bridge (8/3/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – One person was killed and four others injured in a crash on Loop 360 in Austin early Friday morning, CBS Austin reports. The accident happened in the northbound lanes near the Pennybacker Bridge sometime before 1 a.m. Investigators said a car was rear-ended by an SUV, causing one of the vehicles to
- Crash alert: Austin police officer dies of injuries after collision with 18-wheeler (8/2/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – An Austin police officer has died of his injuries following a collision with a tractor-trailer on FM 969 last week, the Austin American-Statesman reports. This is an update to a previous story. The officer, Lewis “Andy” Traylor, was responding to an urgent call at the intersection of FM 969 and Decker Lane
- Crash alert: Austin police officer critically injured in crash with tractor-trailer (7/29/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – An Austin police officer was rushed to the hospital early Wednesday morning after a collision with a tractor-trailer. According to KVUE, the crash happened at the intersection of FM 969 and Decker Lane at about 2 a.m. Police said the officer was responding to an urgent call in his patrol vehicle when
- Crash alert: Motorcyclist killed in collision with car on N. Lamar Boulevard in Austin (7/28/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – The Austin Police Department released its report on a fatal motorcycle accident that occurred earlier this month. Police have identified the victim as 38-year-old Michael Deon Fields. He was riding a Suzuki motorcycle in the 13000 block of N. Lamar Boulevard when the crash occurred July 16 shortly before 11 p.m. According
- Crash alert: Pedestrian hospitalized after being struck by vehicle in Austin (7/27/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A pedestrian accident in south Austin early Sunday morning left one person critically injured, according to CBS Austin. The victim, an adult, was hit by a vehicle at the intersection of South Lamar Boulevard and West Gibson Street at about 12:15 a.m. Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the scene of the crash.
- Crash alert: Collision on State Highway 71 in Bee Cave kills 1, injures 2 (7/26/2021) - BEE CAVE, TX – Authorities said a pin-in collision in Bee Cave on Friday night left one person dead and two others injured. Austin-Travis County EMS tweeted it responded to the 16700 block of West State Highway 71 after the incident occurred at about 8:20 p.m. Rescue crews reported that one adult was pronounced dead