What To Do If You Are In A Car Accident
Fill out a personal injury claim evaluation.
When you get in a car accident it is important to keep your head about you. Although you might be shaken, nervous, and likely injured, if you can remember these few common sense points, it will help you greatly.
- Contact 911 for any serious accident. The 911 operator will dispatch both police and an ambulance, if necessary. The first priority of any injury accident is taking care of the injuries. Although Austin’s finest tell you to move your vehicle after an accident, I would discourage the practice if it seems that liability is being contested by the other side. Once you move the vehicle and or debris from the roadway, it makes it difficult of the officer to find out what exactly did happen and who is at fault.
- If the Austin Police Department, Sheriff’s deputy, or any other law enforcement agency comes out they will likely give you a brown form. It is a form which you write down all your insurance information, driver’s license number, name, etc. When both sides are done with this the officer will give each side the other side’s brown form. If there is no police presence write down the other side’s information or take a photo of their license and insurance card, and license plate. I would also take pictures of the vehicles, damage to the vehicles, debris in the roadway, skid marks, lights, stop signs, or any other items you think will help your case.
- If there are any witnesses that witnessed the accident, please take their name and number down. They may become very necessary if the other side decides to change their story.
- Clearly, if you are seriously injured, medical care is of the utmost priority. Take your aches and pains seriously, as they may be a sign of a more serious condition. I have seen too many people come in with a little soreness which revealed an acute herniation after imaging studies were completed.
- Injury accidents is what we do. If you ever need further clarification as to any of the points, I am just a phone call away.
Do I have a case?
Personal Injury Claim Evaluation
Please enter all required information to complete your personal injury claim evaluation. If your information is received before 3:00 p.m. CST, an attorney will call you back on the same day!
The submission of information to Funk & Associates (“The Firm”) or one of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the receipt of said information does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. This website presents general information which is not intended to be legal advice, nor should you consider it as such. Contacting Funk & Associates does not, and should not, prohibit you in any way from seeking legal advice regarding this or any other matter. This Firm makes no representations, material or implied, of any statute of limitations which may or may not exist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sue someone for causing a car accident?
You can always sue someone over a car accident, the real question is, should you? An experienced personal injury attorney can advise you on the best options available for your specific case, so that you can make the most informed decision possible.
Should you call a lawyer after a car accident?
If you are involved in a collision and were injured, then you should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can investigate the incident, establish liability, find police reports and insurance information, and help in all aspects of your injury claim. This allows you, as the injured victim, to focus on your medical treatment and healing, while the attorney handles all the different aspects of the claim.
How much is the average settlement for a car accident?
There is no average settlement for a car accident. There are too many factors to list that can affect a case in a positive and negative way. However, if you suffered an accident and you were injured, please contact your local Austin Personal Injury Attorneys at Funk & Associates.
How long does it take to get a settlement from a car accident?
Unfortunately, there is no set time frame in settling a car accident case. However, you do have two years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit or settle the case against the person that caused the accident.
How much can I get for pain and suffering from a car accident?
There is no set number that you can get for “pain and suffering” in a car accident claim. Pain and suffering is part of a subset of damages called “general damages“ and will vary from case to case depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. This is why it is pivotal to retain a lawyer who has experience fighting for all aspects of your case, so that you may maximize your recovery on all damages.
Is there a time limit to claim for a car accident?
Texas has something called a statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury claims. For adults, and exceptions aside, that statues runs two (2) years after the negligence occurred. Meaning, if you have been injured in a car accident, or some other circumstance, you must settle the claim or file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of the incident.
If you do not settle the claim or file a lawsuit within that period, your claim has “lapsed.” This means that you may be barred from ever pursuing the claim in the future. There are numerous exceptions to this rule and you should call the Austin Lawyers at Funk and Associates to understand all your rights.
Insurance Adjuster What to Do
Austin Car Accident News
- Crash alert: 61-year-old man fatally struck by car in Austin pedestrian accident (7/23/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A man killed in a pedestrian accident last week has now been identified by Austin police, KXAN reports. The victim of the July 15 incident was 61-year-old Anthony Brown, police said. The crash happened in the 7600 block of East Ben White Boulevard in southeast Austin. Investigators said Brown was in the
- Crash alert: Austin police identify 21-year-old woman as victim of U.S. 290 crash (7/22/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – The Austin Police Department said a 21-year-old woman was the victim of a crash on U.S. 290 earlier this month. In a news release, police identified Camryn Adams as the driver killed in the wreck. Investigators said Adams was driving on West U.S. 290 July 11 when she lost control of her
- Crash alert: Police identify 2 victims of single-vehicle crash on I-35 in east Austin (7/21/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Police in Austin released additional information regarding a single-vehicle crash that killed two passengers earlier this month, according to WXAN. The two victims in the July 10 accident have now been identified as 38-year-old Charlie Jackson and 20-year-old David Bearden. They were riding in a Toyota Camry on the north I-35 frontage
- Crash alert: Driver arrested on DWI charge after Austin crash involving off-duty officer (7/20/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A driver is facing a DWI charge after a crash in Austin involving an off-duty police officer, according to CBS Austin. The incident occurred on the N IH-35 northbound service road near Blackson Avenue on Sunday night shortly before 10:30 p.m. Austin police said the driver was heading north on the service
- Crash alert: Collision in south Travis County leaves 1 person dead (7/19/2021) - TRAVIS COUNTY, TX – Authorities responded to the scene of a deadly crash in Travis County Friday morning. The Travis County Sheriff’s Office tweeted that the incident occurred in the area of FM 1626 and Katy Lane shortly before 10 a.m. The sheriff’s office initially reported it as a crash with injury but sent a
- Crash alert: Police identify motorcyclist who died in south Austin accident (7/16/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – The Austin Police Department identified a motorcyclist who died in an accident involving a pickup truck last month. Police issued a news release on the accident that took place June 26 in the area of South Congress Avenue and Alpine Road in south Austin at 3:20 p.m. Investigators said the driver of
- Crash alert: Rollover crash on Highway 290 in Austin leaves 1 critically injured (7/15/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Rescue crews responded to a rollover crash in Austin Sunday night that left one person critically injured. According to KXAN, Austin-Travis County EMS was at the scene after the incident occurred on Highway 290 near the Mopac Expressway in the Oak Hill area at about 8:15 p.m. One person was transported to
- Crash alert: Austin police identify victim of crash on South Mopac Expressway (7/14/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – Police have identified the victim of a fatal crash on the South Mopac Expressway in Austin last month. According to a press release from the Austin Police Department, the man killed was 76-year-old Leslie Doleshal. Investigators said Doleshal was driving a Honda Civic on June 5 when he exited a private driveway
- Crash alert: 2 dead after vehicle falls off service bridge in east Austin (7/13/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A motor vehicle accident in east Austin early Saturday morning left two people dead, according to KXAN. Austin Police said four people were riding in a vehicle that fell off a service bridge in the area of Interstate 35 and 51st Street. The vehicle ended up falling onto the road below. Two
- Crash alert: 3 men killed when car crashes off overpass in SE Austin (7/12/2021) - AUSTIN, TX – A car accident in southeast Austin early Sunday morning left three men dead, CBS Austin reports. According to police, two vehicles were headed west on the 4700 block of East Ben White Boulevard when they collided at about 3 a.m. One of the vehicles went off an overpass, plunged more than 20